Saturday, September 3, 2011

Week 1

The first week has come and gone. Before I know it, I'll be done with the semester, then the year, then law school entirely. One reason for this blog is so that I can savor and remember these times.

Law school is amazing. There is an immersion into the material that I have never experienced before in any of my schooling. There is a strange pressure to perform, to not let yourself down, to not let the school down, and to not let your classmates down. There is an odd insecurity among law students that they might not be keeping up with their peers. I find myself resisting the urge to assess my own standing, although it is probably too soon to know if I am top of the class or holding up the cellar. One thing is certain, digesting the material is tough. It is seriously challenging to read all of the assigned cases and essays critically. Thankfully at the moment I am almost caught up.

Law itself is intriguing, and I think that man-made laws are perhaps one of those primary philosophical differences between humans and animals. We don't simply live by the Natural Law as animals do (i.e. survival of the fittest). As humans we ascribe to something beyond the Natural Law. Each person, whether he wants to or not, is automatically opted into the laws of the land in which he lives. We each take upon ourselves the burden of obeying (or disobeying) the law voluntarily. This allows for society to function. We can trust each other because we trust in the legitimacy of our laws.

No comments: