Tuesday, July 19, 2011

UConn Law


The University of Connecticut is a good school. This year the UConn Law School ranked 56 overall in the annual law school rankings of U.S. News and World Report. For reference, Utah and BYU are tied at 42 overall.

There are several reasons why UConn is a better fit for me than Utah. Firstly, I already have a degree from the University of Utah. Receiving a law school degree from a different institution than your undergraduate degree shows a nice diversity of experience, and certainly Connecticut and Utah are quite diverse from one another.

UConn has offered me a scholarship for Information Law, and their program for Information Law is stronger than Utah. This includes media and entertainment law, which is one of my specialty interests.

UConn has an externship program in Siena, Tuscany, Italy. Kim and I love Italy and are seriously considering spending a semester or two abroad. However, I would need to be able to speak Italian much more effectively than I can today (oggi io parlo l'italiano non molte bene).

Connecticut's Law School is separate from the main campus and the facilities are much nicer than the U. The main building is a renovated Gothic seminary. Here's the map showing how close we live.


Hartford is relatively small town without many distractions. In other words, it's a good place to focus on studies. However, it is right in between New York and Boston, two of the best legal markets in the world. Salaries are generally higher than Utah.

Finally, Connecticut is a place that I love. I spent some time as a youth there, and I remember it fondly. Here's hoping it is as nice now as it was then...

No comments: