Wednesday, July 20, 2011

"Why do you want to be a lawyer?"

People usually ask some common questions when I tell them that I'm going to law school. The most common is something like, "Why do you want to be a lawyer?" I'll try to answer that question, although, truth be told, I don't have a stand-out, singular reason for going.

The fact of the matter is that some of the best people I know are attorneys or went to law school. I realize that some of the worst people you know may also be lawyers, especially those of you who have had direct dealings. However, my lawyer-friends are happy, stable, intelligent, well-to-do people. They have the freedom and flexibility to live life on their terms. Many of them serve in volunteer capacities, giving freely of their time to help those who are less fortunate. Some of them work in the public sector, protecting the interests of the people from criminals and organizations that break the law.

I respect them for what they have been able to accomplish, for their ability to think and speak clearly, for their self-reliance, and for their contributions to society at large. I hope to be that kind of person, and I'm hopeful that law school will help me down that path.

No comments: